Re: "Binary XML" proposals

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Amy Lewis wrote:

> *hated* it).  Or XDR for RPC ... I'll have nightmares, I'm sure, with
> the memory returned now.

I'm sorry :-)

[Binaries in XML rather than vice versa]

> Why?  Why is it nicer to stuff binary into XML (which is specifically
> designed for text transmission), than to create a container meta format
> to transport XML + binary?

Because you can embed text, numbers, colours and so on directly into the
XML; why introduce a complex seperate mechanism for large binary strings?

Since either way you need to introduce a new beast for XML parsers to
examine (or else the binary+XML containers can't be examined by XML
parsers for metadata extraction), I'd rather go for a consistent approach
that means every data type can be treated similarly.

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/