RE: "Binary XML" proposals

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

[...]
> processor will be a human brain).  What you're working on comes down to an
> efficient compression algorithm... and those already exist.  You can
> implement compression on a filesystem or over the wire regardless of
> format; it's not clear to me where the win is in precompressing.

Because an XML-specific compression can:

1) Improve on XML itself (wrt. making it worth embedding other binary
streams rather than having a complex external mechanism)

2) Be much simpler than, say, the deflate algorithm (as used in gzip)

3) Make use of knowledge about the structure of XML documents to aid
itself

> -Chris

ABS

--