RE: "Binary XML" proposals

[ snip ]
>Umm... if this isn't for web app development and
>XML is SGML On The Web, then what other communities
>are we talking about here?

Medical imagery? Think of the Dicom community.
Spatial imagery?

I do think Al may have a point regarding raster based
image data.
One of my main interest's in XML is it's data
longetivity potential. What facilities are there for
raster (pixel) based data?

CGM? Which I believe did cover raster data,
but is a pretty (too) complex standard.

Len, as the list conscience, would you have memories
on stuff like IPI and IPI-IIF? (ISO/IEC 12087)
What kind of ideas were behind that? Is it still
good, is it bad, or has it turned ugly?

Jan