RE: "Binary XML" proposals

Images have not traditionally been a
subject for markup.  Why?  Raster is
already in its native format.  When
discussed (when I've been there), it was
in the context of addressing, that is,
imposing an address on a region of the
raster (see Hytime FCSlocs, etc.)  Goldfarb
and Chamberlain included raster markup
in their seminal paper on non-text applications
of SGML.  One has to understand that
prior to XML, talking about using markup
for graphics was considered a faux pas.

No I don't remember the ISO standard work
you cite.  I did not work in the graphics field
except in the early eighties in CAD/CAM and
then only as writer.

If I understand these proposals, including
raster will turn this into something along
the lines of CGM.  So once again, is there
a need for a standard XML binary or a
specific language binary?

I don't have a conscience about
my own behaviors, much less, the list.