RE: Tim BL Semantic Web article in Scientific American

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> No fear.  Just an understanding that
> nothing that starts simple stays simple
> and marketing hype often hides a lack of
> knowledge, an unwillingness to know
> or even agendas too off-putting to
> talk about.

Yeah. There's a conversation I can see happening in marketing departments.

TECH: We've made a new RPC protocol, improving on the real time response
of ONC RPC
SALES: What's an RPC protocol?
TECH: It allows computers to use each other's facilities over the
network. It's kinda like buying stuff by mail order.

SALES: Our company's revolutionary new technology allows your fridge to
buy more food when you run out!

> slightly stumbling walk won't send you
> on to your bum... but at the end, all
> I get is an *ugly girl*.

Nicely put :-)

> pervasive public systems.  Nabster and the dot.bomb
> to name only two have dramatically shown the results of
> "turning the world upside down" and shaking out the change.

I wouldn't like having to write one of these intelligent agents, either...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/