Apparent contradiction in use of PEs inside internal entity defs

Hi,

   I have recently been playing around with entities using expat 1.2
and have come across what appears to be a contradiction in the XML
recommendation.

The entities are from an example in section 4.5 of the XML rec and our
as follows.

<!ENTITYÊ%ÊpubÊÊÊÊ"&#xc9;ditionsÊGallimard"Ê>
<!ENTITYÊÊÊrightsÊ"AllÊrightsÊreserved"Ê>
<!ENTITYÊÊÊbookÊÊÊ"LaÊPeste:ÊAlbertÊCamus,Ê
&#xA9;Ê1947Ê%pub;.Ê&rights;"Ê>

This example along with the 2nd paragraph of section 4.5 seem to make
it clear that parameter entities are usable inside and internal entity
definition and that they should be expanded to get the entity's
replacement text.

This appears to contradict the paragraph starting:
"Well-Formedness Constraint: PEs in Internal Subset" in section 2.8 of
the recommendation.  IE 5 for mac seems to agree with section 2.8 and
complains if the following file is loaded.

---------------------
<?xml version = "1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE document [

<!ENTITY % pub    "&#xc9;ditions Gallimard">
<!ENTITY   rights "All rights reserved">
<!ENTITY   book   "La Peste: Albert Camus,
&#xA9; 1947 %pub;. &rights;">

]>

<document>
&book;
</document>
--------------------------------

Am I missing something subtle here?  The grammer appears to agree with
section 2.8 and I would lean towards it over the text if the two
disagreed but it seems to be quite clear in section 4.5 that the above
xml file is legal.

John-Paul
John-Paul Sicotte
Software Composer