[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Apparent contradiction in use of PEs inside internal entity defs
- From: Richard Tobin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: email@example.com
- Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:40:34 +0100 (BST)
> It was the wording of internal subset vs internal entity that got me I
> think. Section 4.5 does not distinguish between internal entities in
> the internal subset and those external to the xml file.
Right. You must be careful to distinguish between these distinctions:
- internal and external entities
- internally and externally defined entities
- parameter entity references in the internal and external subsets
> Do you know why there is the restriction on PEs in internal subsets.
> It does make non-validating parser's easier I guess since they aren't
> required to read external entities.
They're not required to expand *any* parameter entities. Constraining
them to be at the top-level, and expand to whole declarations, allows
them to be skipped over.