Using W3C Regular Expressions

The XML Schema: Data Types specification (PR) defines a regular expression
language in:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#regexs
(more description in: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#regexAppendix)

One thing I don't see is discussion of splitting content through regular
expressions.  Since the W3C Regular Expressions appear to be intended only
for pattern-matching validation, this isn't exactly surprising, but I'm
trying to think beyond that.

It looks like I can still do things like:

on:

1970-11

And extract 19, 70, 11.  (I know that the simple match works, thanks to
http://www.xfront.org/xml-schema/, which is pretty cool.)

Is that a reasonable expectation?  Or have the rules changed underneath my
understanding of regular expressions in ways that make that expectation
inappropriate?

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML