RE: W3C press release: comments on standard-setting

At 07:12 PM 4/17/01 -0400, Ann Navarro wrote:
>The Candidate Recommendation was supposed to be "we think it's cooked, go
>out and tell us if we're wrong", but the vague manner in which CR was and
>still is defined has turned it into a "last, last call" instead of a
>serious or lengthy implementation and kick-the-tires phase.

Of course, since it's been skippable (as happened for a number of XHTML
specs), it's not really clear how much value is really given to the
implementation phase that CR is supposed to represent.

See the end of the Last Call WD section in:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process-20010208/tr.html#last-call

Oh well.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML