Re: atoms, molecules

At 04:13 PM 4/19/01 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>"Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net> writes:
> > I'm not sure I need this facility in XML Schema per se, what I would really
> > like is an XSLT/XPath regular expression function to include variable
> > bindings. Recursive parsing or character data in XSLT is a fairly ugly
> > proposition at the moment, but something that is frequently needed in
> > practical applications.
>
>Hear, hear!  This is a much better idea than jamming microparsing into
>XML Schema.  Fits with the general 'sender/author must make right'
>approach, too.

I'd like to think that we could concoct a decent set of mechanisms for
identifying and describing fragments that could be used in either XSLT or
in XML Schemas, depending on what users find appropriate.

The XML Schema side would be a good way (to me) of the sender saying "this
is what I think the fragments are", while the XSLT side would make it
easier to process such fragments if and when style sheet processing was
applied to the information.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML