Re: TREX and RELAX unite?

Michael Champion wrote:

> eWeek has an article about the W3C XML Schema complexity controversy at
> http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2710691,00.html
>
> Little of it would be news to readers of XML-DEV (other than the fact that
> our little spat has made the tradepaper headlines!), but I noticed one thing
> that I hadn't heard of before: "Clark and Murata recently merged their
> efforts under OASIS, in Billerica, Mass. Clark hopes they can produce a
> first draft in two to three months. "
>
> Can anyone comment on this -- is it true, what does it mean for the ISO
> effort to standardize RELAX, what (if any) conceptual gaps between "tree
> regular expressions" and "hedge automata" would have to be smoothed over for
> this to succeed?

Yes, it's true.  I can confirm that Murata-san and myself are working on
the unification of TREX and RELAX.  The work is currently being carried
on within the OASIS TREX TC.

You can follow the progress of the work in the archives of the TC
mailing list:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/trex/

Under the OASIS process, these are publicly accessible.

Any OASIS member is eligible to participate in the work. (Individuals
can become OASIS members for $250 a year.)

We plan to submit the spec produced by the OASIS TC as a JIS standard,
and then as an ISO standard.

James