RE: ZDNet Schema article,and hiding complexity within user-friendlyproducts

Not every pipeline, but where one uses it
in the pipeline is important.  Take the
famous co-occurrence constraint, aka, correlation.

Should I correlate in the GUI (eg, a pattern
check validation using script), on send,
or on receipt?   Any or all will work but
the last requires the most network traffic
and possibly incovenience given a context
where everything needed is at the client
already (say, form field validation).
Business objects may be different.  In this
case, I need to correlate the data entry to
server-side information.    If I get a blind
transaction from a trading partner, I may want
to correlate the entire input.  Now the
schema looks good but only insofar as the
message received is atomic.

So the context of a context, that is, where
am I in the pipeline and what do I need
from the context to validate the entry
makes a world of difference.   This may
be at the root of some of the XML Schema
despair; trying to make it affective over
all potential process contexts rather than
a few or one.   Schemas are usually cheaper
than equivalent JavaScript; on the other hand,
they aren't parameterizable unless I put
XSLT in the pipeline too.  Now I am into
self-modifying code and my nausea quotient
goes up.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com