Question using special characters and XSLT

I need to put an asp tring through on XSLT doc, the asp string has both
ampersands and equal signs in it. The ampersand is not a prob, by using
&
How can I use an equal sign? I've seen documentation that says use a hex
number (3d), but the parser doesn't really like that.

TIA
--
Guy Taylor
Systems and Web Development