Re: Sun IPR statement on XPointer

Here is another comment about specific concerns relating to Sun's document
which was forwarded to me off list as the writer didn't want to comment in an
attributable way (but with permission to post on list).

Quote begins here:

I think more disturbing might be the precondition in the second paragraph
below that states that if you, as a licensee, implement XPointer, you've
giving them, and anybody else they deem acceptable, the rights to
redistribute it in any way they wish.  In effect, a type of enforced open
source.  It may be that they're enclosing a poison pill for Microsoft.  I
can see Sun's point, but it would make me think twice before I spent
development costs on an implementation.

Perhaps patent lawyers would provide reassurance about such initial concerns,
but for some companies at least it is likely that such a hurdle may be a
significant disincentive to implement XPointer. It's a pity that such
potential disincentives to XPointer development remain.

Andrew Watt