Re: Sun IPR statement on XPointer

It is difficult to respond to a post which does not give specific context,
but I think it is unhelpful to propagate misunderstandings, and I think the
quoted e-mail is a misunderstanding.

If the quote references this:

  One precondition of any license granted
  to a party shall be the party's agreement to grant royalty-free licenses to
  Sun and other companies to make, use, sell, offer for sale, or import
  implementations of XPointer under the party's essential patent claims.

then my reading is quite different.  There is nothing in the precondition
that says a licensee (the party) has to give Sun the rights to redistribute
any given implementation developed by the party.  My reading is that the
granting of licenses to utilize patented methods in the implementation etc.
of XPointer must be mutual.  That is, Sun is willing to grant this license,
and that anyone else who might have patents affecting XPointer must grant a
similar license if they wish to do anything with XPointer.

I don't think this is unreasonable, but I am a concerned that the actual
terms of the putative license are left open.

 Steve