Re: Sun IPR statement on XPointer

Hi folks-- Let me weigh in here, before heading onto a long flight and a
trip that may possibly keep me from email for a few days...

I think Christian is indeed quoting from the terms and conditions Sun
initially offered, which is still linked from the current version of the
XPointer spec out there.  That version is superseded by what I posted here
a few days ago.  Until XPointer is revised and published again, it won't be
able to change that link -- but I can check on the possibility of getting
the entity body retrieved by that URI to be updated!

On the issue of prior art: As promised, we did assemble all the information
on prior art (there was quite a lot) and submitted it to the Patent
Office.  I can't predict the outcome nor the timeframe, so (also as
promised) we proceeded with developing a fresh IPR statement.

BTW, this might seem a little confusing, but what we initially published
were "terms and conditions" of an actual license that we were (putatively)
offering to all comers, but this new IPR statement is more like meta-terms;
it provides the rules we will abide by in granting licenses to all
comers.  In my understanding, it's this latter type of statement that is
normally provided for W3C-related technology.  (Most companies don't post
their IPR statements on XML-Dev, but you can see lots of samples by looking
at "submission" Notes made to W3C at http://www.w3.org/TR.)  There are
probably similar statements at places like Apache; I'll try provide links
next week.

On the actual statement: We worked with W3C to assure that it meets
generally accepted requirements for royalty-free licensing.  (I'm not sure
how much the W3C confidentiality situation allows me to say beyond this;
I'm checking.)

Even though IANAL, I think this new statement looks pretty good: guaranteed
royalty-free, guaranteed reasonable and non-discriminatory even beyond
that, applies even before Recommendation stage (which some of these sorts
of things do not), applies to Sun's entire patent portfolio and not just
the '729 patent, uses a standard of commercial plausibility (which I
understand is a fairly generous thing), etc.  Though the "essential"
definition stuff may look a bit scary, I found I could understand it more
easily than the average large technical specification. :-)

I hope these thoughts are helpful.  If you have additional questions, by
all means let me know.

         Eve

--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com