Re: XML schemas for Local Government anywhere outside the UK??

Andre:

	The "Local Government" covers a lot of area.  Most government
agencies, in the U.S. and internationally have been developing DTD's.
We will have to wait and see if schemas take off in the government
arena.  I believe they will in the traditional EDI areas.

	Some of the efforts that I am aware of are:

	- Legislation (Both U.S. and many state legislators).
        - U.S. Patent and Trade Office for submission of Patents.
        - Internal Revenue Service (multiple areas).
        - Department of Defense - Most documentation areas, including
                       Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals
        - FDA (U.S. and Canada have both been looking how to do
               electronic submission of drug submissions).
        - U.S. Geological Survey (Geological information).
        - Library of Congress (Check out the American Memory Project)
        - National Archives
        - Government Printing Office
        - Intelligence Agencies (Many years of work)
        - National Institute of Health
        - Department of Energy
        - -- And many more --

You may want to check out a new web site - http://www.xml.gov.  This
is a web site that is being developed to provide information to U.S.
government agencies who are involved in XML projects.  There is also
an XML working group for the U.S.

Betty

Betty Harvey                         | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@eccnet.com                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp