RE: Attributes v Elements

Actually its not just verbose, its simply wrong... although perhaps not in
the xHTML example you provide.

Lets say I an schema that represents a symantically markedup document. That
is, we have something like:

Now this is a very meaningful paragraph. There is nothing in there that
isn't information (you could argue that the symantic tags I use are bad but
I don't design a lot of symantic schemas... yet). However, if we were to do
the markup as you suggest, I would need:

All of a sudden, the signal to noise ratio has gone up by an order of
magnitude. The idea of something that is a span has no meaning in a
document. It further suggests that the content of the span is something
different from the content of the symantic tags. This is patently not true.

The statement that there should be no mixed content elements is faulty, when
you are refering to something that represents (for lack of a better work)
discourse. If its something I say, or I read, then mixed content models are
very appropriate.

Adam