RE: DTD's

Sandra,

I can give two reasons to have a DTD anyway:

First, at design & code time, it provides a formal schema which acts as a
contract between all the users and creators of the documents -- if all
documents created are valid, and all readers can read any valid document,
then your system will work.

Second, your quality argument: If these documents are created by people,
then you really need to validate to prevent simple human error. Even if the
docs are machine generated, in a medical application, being paranoid about a
change to one side not being picked up on the other sounds like a good
ideal.

Frank