DTD's

Hi,
  We have a question about the necessity of DTD.  There are folks
  among our developers who postulate that so long as the document
  is well-formed, we don't need DTD's.  So far, so true.  However,
  might this pose a quality problem later on especially if you want
  to limit what are considered legitimate tags in the document?
Regards,
Sandra Carney