RE: DTD's

That's one use.   Well-formed is what the
message or document should be in transport.
With a correct-by-construction application,
you can build that without a DTD.  Spitting
well-formed XML from a database is trivial
because the database schema, GUI, and business
rules did all the heavy lifting.  On the other
hand, a DTD or schema has multiple use cases:

o  Rigorous form of contract between
communicating systems

o  Means to validate a message on send
or on receipt