Re: Namespace: what's the correct usage?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI" <kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com>
To: "Martin Gudgin" <marting@develop.com>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: Namespace: what's the correct usage?

<SNIP>

> > I just don't see what the big deal is. Markup languages like XSLT and
others
> > you mention qualify all elements, that's fine. Data serialization may
take a
> > different approach. I think this is also perfectly OK. I don't think
there
> > is any 'correct usage' that applies to all scenarios.
>
> I don't understand why you always regard this as "data vs document", as
> if there is a clear distinction between them.

[MJG]
Because, by inspection, markup languages tend to use all qualified elements
whereas data reps tend to not do so.

I don't understand why you think there is only one right way to use
namespaces.

> By the way, do you admit that it is a pitfall for many novice authors
> that elementFormDefault="unqualified" by default?

[MJG]
For the record, I was one of the proponents of keeping
elementFormDefault='unqualified' as the default. You might call it a pitfall
for novice authors, I call it a pedagogical tool ;-) ;-)

> Do you admit that the default value of elementFormDefault is a
> controversial topic?

[MJG]
Doubtless, otherwise we would not be having this conversation...

Regards

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor