RE: Indexing XML

I would recommend having a look at the XML Topic Maps specification [1] and
various topic map tutorials [2][3]. Topic maps were designed from the get-go
to enable the merging of indexes and also support the idea of hierarchical
indexing with ease.

Basically, you could create topics for Italy, Southern Italy Naples, Rome
and Sicily, create associations such as "Southern Italy is in Italy",
"Sicily is in Southern Italy", "<your recipe here> is regional recipe of
Sicily", enabling a query for "recipes from italy" to be "topics playing the
role of recipe in a 'is regioanl recipe of' relationship with a topic P
where P is in a transitive 'is in' relationship with the topic Italy".

Using the Published Subject Indicators feature of XTM would give your users
a way of establishing that the topic named Italy is in fact the European
country and not the international football team, for example.

[1] http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/
[2] http://topicmaps.bond.edu.au/tutorial1/topics.mc
[3] http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/learn_more.html

Cheers,