Definition of XML

Hello,

This must be a pretty basic question...
but can anyone please point me to a succint and up-to-date definiiton of XML?

Here are a few of the ideas that I have come across.

Mike Walsh: "XML is a markup language for documents containing structured information."

Simon St. Laurent: "XML provides a foundation for creating documents and document systems."

Jon Bosak: "...the future lingua franca for the exchange of structured data."

Erik Ray: "XML is a specification for creating markup languages."

Sean McGrath: "... standardisation of data representation..."

K. Dick "...standard for electroninc data interchange.."

Fuch: "XML is designed to encode information in ways that are compatible to men and machines."

"XML is best utilised as a data interchange format between databases..."

Thanks
Anthony