RE: APIs, messaging

At 11:28 AM 23/05/01 -0700, Jeff Lowery wrote:
>The data-centric butcher sends me a nice package of bacon. I don't know what
>part of the pig it came from, and I learn anything about butchering, but I
>got what I asked for, and no more.

This butcher has reduced a pig, which is actually quite a
general-purpose kind of thing, to a dumbed-down package
hardwired to work in only one application of pigs.  This reminds
me of reducing a complicated XML-encoded financial report to a
PDF and sending that along... neatly packaged all right, but
hardwired to one application.

I would hope that people who describe themselves as
"data-centric" have a little more respect for the stuff
than this example would suggest. -Tim