Re: Namespace: what's the correct usage?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddie Robertsson" <eddie@allette.com.au>
To: <francis@redrice.com>
<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: Namespace: what's the correct usage?

> Martin already replied with the correct analysis of the problem so I'll
skip
> that part. I think the reason you get an error from XSV is that you don't
supply
> the birthday.xsd schema. If you call xsv with:
>
> C:\xml>xsv friend.xml friend.xsd birthday.xsd
>
> you should get the correct error messages.
>
> It is strange though that your result from XSV says that validation was
STRICT.
> In my opinion it should be LAX since it can't find the declarations in the
> birthday schema.

Thanks for spotting that Eddie. I'd not noticed the command-line! If I
validate friend.xml against just friend.xsd with either XSV or MSXML they
both claim the document is valid. I guess it is, according to friend.xsd, it
just isn't valid WRT birthday.xsd. It comes down to the fact that a yes/no
is not enough when doing schema validation... we need the validators to
produce 'Yes, but....' information. TO be fair to XSV if you dump the
PSVI[1] it does say ( right at the bottom ) that validation was 'partial'. I
haven't figured out how to dump a PSVI from MSXML yet ;-)

My previous post was based on running a command line of

    xsv friend.xml friend.xsd birthday.xsd

Cheers

Gudge