RE: A few things I noticed about w3c's xml-schema

On 30 May 2001 10:17:04 -0400, David E. Cleary wrote:
> > less than a billion dollars. I think it will be good if they actually
> > listen at least now to what the real founders of XML have to say -- these
> > are people who have worked on XML way before anyone has even heard of it,
> > and they have worked on almost all problems including document
> > transformations and so on.
>
> So who are the "real founders" of XML you are speaking for? I assume they
> don't include Michael Sperberg-McQueen, Dan Connolly, Dave Hollander, Eve
> Maler, and Murray Maloney since they were all part of creating the XML
> Schema Recommendation.

I'd strongly suggest that we avoid pushing this to a naming of XML
founders who aren't especially fond of XML Schema. James Clark and
Murata Makoto are already quite open about their distaste for XML
Schema, but I doubt Murali Mani was speaking for anyone explicitly.

Comparing the nature of the XML 1.0 project, slimming down SGML to a
much more usable subset, and the nature of the XML Schema project, which
in my view spent most of its time reconciling a large number of features
piled on top of XML, does seem like a worthwhile approach, however.

But you've probably already seen (and disagreed with):
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/02/28/eightytwenty.html

I'm hardly a founder, but I think I've spent enough time on this to
digest some of the lessons of the initial project.