RE: meta-specs (was RE: A few things I noticed about w3c's xml-sc hema)

I'm wondering if for some projects, it isn't also
the best way to start.  In other words, should
one create a UML-like design if what is being
designed is NOT an OOP, but simply the data
exchanged?   Sure, we eventually arrive at a system
where a catalog or RDDL or whatever bag-o-typedLinks
is chosen ties together components by named roles,
descriptions.   I can do a data-centric design
with XML Schemas or even DTDs and have.  I understand
the problem of things such as co-occurrence contraints.

So I have RDF and XML Schema.

When do I need RDF?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard