Re: XML 1.0 Conformance Test Results

From: "Gary Stephenson" <stephensong@iname.com>

> In looking at the sun/valid/not-sa02.xml file, I can't find any tokens
that
> that are separated _only_ by character references to whitespace.  The most
> likely offender would appear to be:
>
>     nmtokens =  " this&#x0d;&#x0a; also  gets&#x20; normalized "
>
> but there are literal spaces following the character references in each
case.
> So it would appear I am not understanding the issue properly.  Would you
mind
> explaining in a little more detail for those of us that came in late...
<g>
> why these documents are not in fact well-formed  (or should that actually
be
> not valid as you stated)?

The above contains character references to whitespace which, according to
attribute normalisation rules, will result in the normalized attribute value
containing the specified characters: #x0d and #x0a.  These are not valid
NmToken characters, so the "Validity constraint: Name Token" which reads
"Values of type NMTOKEN must match the Nmtoken production; values of type
NMTOKENS must match Nmtokens" will be violated.  This is not a
well-formedness error, but it is a validity error.

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology