RE: designers as users etc.

I'm probably more concerned with just how good the
schema designs from committees are going to be.  Even
with the relative simple-mindedness of DTDs, it can
be difficult to get agreement given the n-dimensional
competence problems (tools, technologies, subject domain,
mammalStuff).  Now we have a very powerful but still
largely unpracticed schema language that borders on
but is not quite an object-oriented design tool (vs
DTDs which were pretty much just documents and
structured lists), emerging competing schema languages,
and a certain lack of methodology-centric design
tools to hide the rules for all of these.  Toss in
the semantic web hype and this is a witches brew
guaranteed to produce "toil and trouble".  Put
all that in the hands of people who have yet
to understand what well-formed means and you
see quickly that XML is really in much worse
shape than SGML for the end-user.

Somewhere near the top of the list of every
XML project will be the topic:

Limiting the Options:  Understanding the End Game

followed by

Don't Publish Just Because It Parses

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard