The Three Myths of XML

Kendall Grant Clark has published a funny satire
of the three myths of XML at www.xml.com this week.
It makes good reading.  I wonder how many still
subscribe to such myths and why.  It appears to
me that the selling of the web, the urge to get
the publicity and seize the domain before the
results are ready have as much to do with this
as any particular quality of XML.  On the other
hand, very large government pipelines of data
aggregation do exist that would benefit enormously
from using XML (cheaper and tends toward winnowing
out duplication).  As said in the past, the way of
markup is as powerful if not more powerful than
the actual technology but you have to do a lot of
this to understand the obvious.  It is the quality
of the information domain (enough similarity to
enable a coherent schema that can be shared) that
determines if it succeeds.  I can write a schema
for you cat but who will you share that with?

XML isn't magic.  It is a computer science.  Getting
people to agree to use the agreements, that's magick.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h