How to search through XML data?

Hi all,
I am developing a couple of projects. One in Javascript (mainly) and the other in Java.

I have my XML data that's parsed into a DOM tree displayed record by record according to the forward or backward actions of the user.

I want to include a search facility. I would like to display a list of the IDs of the records accoding the search criteria. And as the user clicks on a particular ID, he should be taken to that particular record.

How do I do this? What are the tools available to search through XML data? Any links to websites with examples will be of great help.

Thanks in advance,
S. Jyotinarayan
Software Professional
IFP, Pondicherry,