Re: XML Blueberry

On 21 Jun 2001 13:26:31 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> I am not sure what "backwards incompatible" is supposed to mean
> in this context.  Old parsers won't be able to read Blueberry
> documents, that's true.  But nobody needs to write a Blueberry
> document unless they wish to exploit Blueberry features.  And
> upgrading parsers to Blueberry is intentionally trivial: it's basically
> about expanding a few tables.

It almost feels to me like those tables should be the responsibility of
the Unicode folks (or some similarly lucky but separate intermediary
with time on its hands) to maintain, and that some means of
incorporating them by reference might have avoided this entire
discussion.

I guess that would make the layering of XML 1.0 on top of Unicode more
explicit.