Re: XML Blueberry

David Brownell wrote

>Whoever coined that "ASCII of the Web" meme either missed,
>or explicitly avoided, addressing the role of Unicode.  I tend to
>think it was the latter option, considering all the exceptions XML
>made to the Unicode rules for character classes.  As it stands,
>the XML 1.0 spec is effectively independent of changes from the
>Unicode consortium, but still leverages Unicode where it's most
>essential (representation of text, not markup).

I coined it (as far as I know, nobody used it before me); it was meant
to be a high-level description of the fact that XML can become pervasive
as a means of representing data, just as ASCII is, and that one day in
the future, most (all?) systems will be expected to understand XML. They
may need to translate XML into their own internal structures, just as
EBCDIC machines will translate ASCII into their own characters. The fact
that XML uses Unicode is important to that saying; the fact that XML
misses some of the characters is less important to the 50,000-foot view
when telling people why they should look into what XML can do for them.

Lauren

--

Lauren Wood, Director of Product Technology, SoftQuad Software
Chair, XML 2001 - Call for presentations now open at www.xmlconference.org