Re: XML Blueberry

At 04:02 PM 22/06/01 +0800, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>The first case is where XML is generated by a program, running on an IBM
>system with this convention.  In that case, there is no need to extend the
>characters which the XML parser recognises as whitespace, because the
>characters sent are under programmer control.   And the parser does not
>(should not) care about whether the IBM line-end character is sent as part
>of data.
>This only requires that the IBM line-end character should be allowed as part
>of the document character set.  I think this should be uncontraversial, and
>only requires a 3rd edition of XML, as a correction.

Nope.  It's already a perfectly legal character.  There are two problems,
one minor and one major.  The minor problem is that when it appears in
character data, lots of unix & mac & windows software will not realize
that there ought to be a line break.  The major problem is that when
it appears in a tag, e.g.

<t a1="1"
   a2="2">

(where there's a NEL after the "1") then the XML processor will kick
this out.  -Tim