XML Linking 1.0 and XML Base become W3C Recommendations

  I'm very happy to announce that

   XML Base
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/

   "This document proposes a facility, similar to that of HTML BASE,
    for defining base URIs for parts of XML documents."

and

   XML Linking Language (XLink) Version 1.0
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/

   "This specification defines the XML Linking Language (XLink), which
    allows elements to be inserted into XML documents in order to create
    and describe links between resources. It uses XML syntax to create
    structures that can describe links similar to the simple unidirectional
    hyperlinks of today's HTML, as well as more sophisticated links."

reached W3C Recommendation status today 27 June 2001.

  I hope that they will fullfill the original requirement of providing
improved linking mechanism, including support for scalable annotation
mechanisms, out of line linking and support for advanced linking features
in general.

  I would like to thank the XML Linking Working group members, past and
present who have helped bringing those specification to this milestone.

  I also hope the XPointer specification will reach a similar status in
a reasonable timeframe, this is in a large part dependant on getting enough
interoperable implementation.

  Yours,

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com