XML Schema support in Xerces SAX1?

I'm having trouble getting XML Schema validation to work under Xerces
1.4.1. We are currently using the deprecated SAXParser and
DocumentHandler classes from SAX1. There are a couple of things in the
release notes that make me think I can't use XML Schema with SAX1,
including no support for namespaces. But I can't find anything about it
on the Xerces site. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? If it can
work, any tips on getting it to?
Here's the code I have currently:

SAXParser parser = new SAXParser();
parser.setDocumentHandler(handler);
parser.parse(input);

where handler extends HandlerBase and only overrides startElement() and
endElement().

Anything else I need to do?

Tanks for any help or info,
Wil