RE: MSXML Features (WAS RE: Steve Ballmer is cracking up)

Thanks.  I have it.  I use it as a structural reference.
The issue is documented but unimplemented or buggy
features.  It is to be expected given the timeliness
of the recommendation and the difficulty of the
implementation.

Eventually, I have downloaded a beta of one of
the Schema IDEs and am using that for final
parsing to check the schema design.  BTW, it
doesn't implement UNIQUE either but it says
so in the manual.   MSXML 4.0 is for the manly
who like to work in PFE.  I usually do that but....

Getting an instance to parse against a schema is easy.
Getting the schema instance to parse against
the schema schema takes more work.  The short
cut is the beta.  The problem was on the first
pass, whatever it didn't like, it threw away.
It ate about half of a schema I was working
on.  Luckily, I don't feed master copies to
beta software.  Word to the wise who are testing
those IDEs out there: they really are betas.

XML Schemas are hard.  That is a fact.  OTOH,
not so hard one can't learn them but even as
an ancient pointy-bracket man, this is one time
I heartily suggest serious designers find a good
Schema design tool/IDE and use it.   Where time
is money and accuracy is critical because of
distribution, these IDEs will be big money and
face savers.

For the HumanML schemas, we will probably push every button in
the XML Schema repetoire because it is a massive
job, requires a schema toolkit (eg, lots of
complexTypes abstract="true"), and derived
schemas before one gets to the first instance.
So, anyone who wants to test validators, give
us a few weeks to get more of it done and we
can make these available as test guineas.

Markup design has become software design for real.
Technical writers and marketing editors need not apply.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h