RE: Against the Grain: Pascal commentary about XML and databases

There *are* database tools that take a more incremental approach, and
simply expose a relational structure as XML, so things like rollups
below are not necessarily a challenge.  This is the camp of people who
believe that XML is simply a "more loosely constrained relational
model", and who believe that XML databases must evolve from relational
and take advantage of the past 30 years of relational research.

On the other hand, there are good reasons to use a pure native approach
for XML.  The "native XML" people will be able to show you blazingly
fast queries over massive data stores that would make an RDBMS croak.
The "XML-adaptor" people will show you queries against *their* XML that
run blazingly fast but make a "native" engine croak.  The moral is that
there is no "one true way" at this point, and both models will converge.
I think it's a teeny bit unfair to call XML databases "snake oil";
instead think of 2001-XMLDB as 1980-SQL.  As "native" databases evolve
to support traditional relational-type stuff better and relational-XML
adapters evolve to support things that native implementations excel at,
the distinction will become irrelevant and the code bases will be pretty
much the same.  In the meantime, using XML databases means having a good
understanding of your use cases, needs, etc. and evaluating each product
individually.

Regards,
Joshua