XML Schema support in Xerces DOM

Is there a mechanism to create DOM documents 'by hand' (not through parsing)
that will validate against an XML Schema? I know the Xerces-J SAX parser
will validate against XML Schema, but I want to know if an incremental
construction of the DOM through method calls will also validate.

It's probably too much to ask for validation interactively, but I fail to
see the ability to schema-validate in the OuputFormat or XMLSerialize
methods, either. In other words, it doesn't appear that one can
method-construct a DOM and have it validated directly; I do suspect there's
a work around, however. ;-)