XPath implementation

Hello,

After some reading and research, a could not find a XPath implementation in
W3C's XML DOM. It is used only as part of the XSLT-processor. So this means
that there is no function or interface-method that is in the XML DOM to
parse XPath and return the node. Am I right ? If so, maybe I will have to
write a XPath parser myself or use one if available.

Because the project I'm working on is going to be platform independant, I
wanted to use something standard as XML DOM interface-method. Can anyone
recommend a XPath parser with such capabilities (to work on Win32, nix*-es,
etc.) ?

Thanks,
Dimiter Naydenov