Re: filtering noise (was Re: SAX LexicalHandler::comment issue)

> > > That doesn't strike me as a problem of the DOM - it strikes me as a
> > > processing problem that hasn't been well-solved.
> >
> > Well, not consistently.  We are in a maze of twisty little passages,
> > all different ... :)  There are plenty of solutions to this one.
>
> Sure.  But everyone seems to point fingers at everyone else's processing
> models, rather than looking at parsing architectures themselves.

Surely being able to point fingers shows "they" at least looked
at a few other approaches?  :)  In this case, my comment was
about the "noise"-oriented defaults in that L3 DOM draft, not
the particular parsing model.

> Nonetheless, I don't think the problem is that browsers were incapable
> of handling such models - the problem comes from assuming that there a
> browser infrastructure building the DOM, and not exploring that build
> process thoroughly.

I'm not sure I'd say that's where DOM's bias towards "noise" nodes came
from, but that might be it.

It's also true that one person's noise is another person's music.  And
some might argue that DOM is assembling a band, one instrument at
a time, so of course it seems like noise "at first" ... :)