Re: XML Blueberry (non-ASCII name characters in Japan)

On 09 Jul 2001 18:11:34 -0400, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> > Actually, they aren't being confused.  We simply have rather different
> > values.  I want users to be able to do markup in the same language they
> > use for the text.  Requiring developers to use a different language for
> > markup than they use for text seems inherently bizarre to me.
> >

> You mean like HTML in Burmese?

Precisely.  There are people who work in their own flavor of markup and
transform it to HTML, now that XML/XSLT makes such things easier.  I'm
amazed that developers are so willing to work in English-based systems,
though I suspect sheer market power makes it difficult to do otherwise.

I'm afraid I lack contacts in Phnom Penh, but let's say a young
developer is given the job of creating a markup language for archiving
documents.  The text is Khmer, but if we listen to the objections of
those who find additional Name characters distasteful, this developer
has to make a choice.

What language should the markup be in?

Khmer?  Nope, sorry, too late, we can't do that now.
English?  Viva Kissenger!
French?  Well, I suppose they were the colonial power for a while...
Vietnamese?  Another contentious relationship.
Chinese?  Pol Pot had a great relationship there for a while.
Japanese?  Seems to have had a chaotic occupation 1942-45.

None of these options seem particularly appealing.  The (not)
always-delightful CIA World Factbook[1] claims that Khmer is the
official language, spoken by about 95% of the population.  Does it seem
reasonable to insist that those working with the markup understand
markup in a foreign and potentially disliked language?

Not to me.  Maybe it's the big Quebec flag in my office (I don't speak
French, despite my name), but language matters a lot.  It's difficult,
it's crucial to all levels of communications, and it deeply affects the
way people interact.

[1] - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/cb.html