Re: Blueberry/Unicode/XML

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:18:09 +0700, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:

>At least I think one should consider easing draconian error handling
>for bad name characters to reduce deployment problems with option 2.

I think you've got it.  As usual.  <g>  What if *all* characters were
acceptable as name characters, excluding only the very short list of
those that collide with XML syntax itself?  For starters, that could
be only   < > / " ' [ ] ? ! =   and the sequence "--".  And also cease
making a distinction between the first and subsequent name characters.

This would preserve total backward data compatibility, simplify parsers,
and would never need to be revisited later.  Some new documents might be
rejected by old parsers, but old documents would be fine.  Inclusive in
every sense of the word.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/