Re: XML Blueberry (non-ASCII name characters in Japan)

At 3:07 PM +0900 7/10/01, Joel Rees wrote:

>I have been assuming that non-name characters are not allowed in tag
>attributes. If this assumption is wrong, then the following argument is
>somewhat superfluous, and perhaps the issue of allowing the extension
>characters in tags can be relegated to questions of convenience.

That assumption is partially incorrect. Non-name characters are allowed in attribute values, though not attribute names. Furthermore, in a valid document, attributes of types ID, IDREF, IDREFS, NMTOKEN, and NMTOKENS may only contain name characters. But this isn't true of most attributes.