Re: participating communities (was XML Blueberry)

> Len commented:
> > ISO works for governments and the W3C works for private companies.
>
> And what some folk on this list want is organizations that work
> for "the rest of us".  That's certainly closer to theoretical role of
> government, in most parts of the world, and antithetical to the
> role of private corporations (which work for their management,
> or arguably some of their more powerful shareholders).
>

> Frank commented:
> > Yeah there's plenty wrong with business, but  I totally fail to
comprehend
> > how any survivor of the 20th century can think governments are better.

And David Brownell added:

> Easy.  Just look at how responsible corporations have shown
> themselves to be ... tobacco companies, media consortia like
> the MPAA and RIAA, power companies, and plenty more.
>
> The problem, despite politically biased rhetoric, isn't that governments
> are worse than the corporations they sometimes try to constrain, but
> that most of today's large institutions have so little accountability.
>
> Of course that whole thread is OT ... :)

But it isn't. As Len points out, XML is a private consortium -- business.
Civility is good advertising for a business, but it also has value in terms
of the future. If you wear out or pollute the field you plow, it eventually
quits producing. Then you need new fields, or you need to starve for a
while.

Joel Rees
programmer -- rees@mediafusion.co.jp
To be a tree supporting all information,
  giving root to the chaos
    and branches to the trivia,
      information breathing anew --
        This is the aim of Yggdrasill.
(I'm checking on John Cowan's question about a one-eyed man hanging from the
branches. 8-)
============================XML as Best Solution===
Media Fusion Co. ,Ltd.  株式会社メディアフュージョン
Amagasaki  TEL 81-6-6415-2560    FAX 81-6-6415-2556
    Tokyo TEL 81-3-3516-2566   FAX 81-3-3516-2567
                       http://www.mediafusion.co.jp