RE: Well-formed Blueberry

At 4:59 PM +0200 7/13/01, Julian Reschke wrote:
>Although I like the idea of not producing "blueberry" when "1.0" would have
>done: how would you *produce* these documents?
>
>For instance, how would an XSLT processor whether certain name characters
>will appear later in the output or not?

An XSLT processor is a tree-to-tree transformation. The XML declaration is not part of the tree. It is produced only as part of the final, optional serialization of the document. Assuming the Blueberry declaration is part of the XML declaration, it would not be chosen until the entire output tree was available for inspection so that the presence or absence of Bluebbery characters could be definitively ascertained.