Re: Well-formed Blueberry

At 1:59 PM -0400 7/13/01, John Cowan wrote:
>What's more (unless I am forgetting something), no name can be
>generated in the output unless it appeared as a name in the input,
>either the stylesheet or the source.  Blueberryness, therefore,
>is contagious.

More or less, but the really tricky part is that it's very easy for both a style sheet and an input document to use Blueberry characters while the output document produced does not.

We could give up XSL streaming for possibly Blueberry documents, a tradeoff I'd be willing to make, but I'm not sure everyone else would. You could gain some of that back by allowing streaming to start as soon as the first Blueberry name character was spotted. For the case where the output was a file you could always write linearly no matter what, and then back up if it turned out you guessed wrong, but that doesn't work on a network socket.

You could even force Blueberrry into a document by emitting a processing instruction whose target was written in Khmer, even if for no other reason than to make the Blueberry declaration legal/necessary, though that seems a cure worse than the disease.

Once again, it comes down to how prevalent you think this is going to be. Monolingual documents that use tags written in Kmhmer, Thaana, Yi, etc. would emit a Blueberry tag very quickly so streaming could start. The only real problem would be documents that mixed markup from Blueberry names and XML 1.0 legal names. These might end up waiting to the end of the tree before any output was produced.