Re: Blueberry is not "closed" (was: Closing Blueberry)

 From: "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>

> > Under my proposal a Blueberry declaration is legal if and only
> > if one or more Blueberry characters is used in an XML name somewhere in
> > the document. Thus adding a single processing instruction whose target
> > contained a Blueberry character either before or after the root element
> > would make the document Blueberry legal.
> Well, I certainly have no problem with this idea.

I certainly do. It goes against the fundamental principle of labelling.

FrameMaker's MIF used a similar system to this, in a way: for language you
type the country name in the native characters (e.g. idographic NI-HON for
Japan) and then the MIF reader will know which encoding is being used (i.e.,
shift JIS or EUC I suppose) because it knows the two code sequences.

But we didn't go that way in XML: instead, after the most minimal reliance
on signatures (for determining code-point size and ASCII/EBCDIC family) it
uses explicit labelling in text: markup.

The advantage of this is that there is as much chance as possible that the
document's character set can be known by using a standard hex dump, and
usually using the system's standard text editor or "type" or "more"

I think it would be a great step backwards to have any system based on
signatures, when we have managed to reduce their use to the minimum
currently. Markup (i.e. ASCII declarations) is better.

Rick Jelliffe