Re: Blueberry is not "closed" (was: Closing Blueberry)

Elliotte Rusty Harold told us,

> At 1:51 PM -0400 7/20/01, John Cowan wrote:
> >Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> >> I think most of the time it wouldn't be. I went to MacWorld a couple
> >> of days ago. 512MB DIMMs were running $159. 80 gigabyte hard drives
were
> >> $379. Memory and space is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Yeah, but getting to MacWorld isn't. (Wish I could've gone!)

[snipped]

> No, I think that 90%+ of people are never going to need to use Blueberry
at
> all. I think that of the remainder, most of those who are using Blueberry
will
> know they are because all their markup will be written in Khmer or Amharic
> or Mongolian and so forth. I think it will be a very rare case, mostly
limited
> to some Japanese and Chinese documents (and far from the majority of
> those), where there may or may not be Blueberry characters.

I noticed that Mr. Murata is slated for a presentation at IBM's technology
conference coming up shortly. That means he's pretty busy.

I'm trying to chase down information on the characters that are going to be
hardest hit be the present issues, but it takes time. I don't have all the
specs sitting at my desktop, and the closest place to find them is the
public library.

Speaking of the library, with some urging from my wife, I ended up making
some time and going last Saturday. (Then I was there a lot longer than she
wanted me to be. :) I wasn't able to get the whole bag of evidence, but it
looks like some of the characters that got code-point shifted by the
extensions to UNICODE are in fairly common use. Maybe I can get to the
library again this weekend. More later.

Joel Rees
programmer -- rees@mediafusion.co.jp
To be a tree supporting all information,
  giving root to the chaos
    and branches to the trivia,
      information breathing anew --
        This is the aim of Yggdrasill.
============================XML as Best Solution===
Media Fusion Co. ,Ltd.  株式会社メディアフュージョン
Amagasaki  TEL 81-6-6415-2560    FAX 81-6-6415-2556
    Tokyo TEL 81-3-3516-2566   FAX 81-3-3516-2567
                       http://www.mediafusion.co.jp